CSR Gyprock has been the Australian producer of plasterboard and a range of other high performance construction industry staples since 1947. They have been using two F3 Floveyors to convey Gypsum and Vermiculite for plasterboard production for over 30 years. The fully enclosed Floveyors were originally purchased to provide high speed, contained and dust free transfer for both handling systems.
Gyprock faced challenges from two fronts; soaring production levels and a switch from clay to fly ash. This presented an opportunity to address the inefficiencies caused by bottle necks and dust containment in their bulk materials handling. They sought to streamline the loading process of the day bins which currently relied on a combination of forklift and manual applications.
As their existing screw conveyors proved to be incompatible with the rapid flow of aerated fly ash, they were also seeking a new conveying solution.
Gyprock had already experienced a quarter of century of classic Floveyor aero-mechanical conveying reliability combined with low maintenance performance, so they approached us for a solution to their current situation. We proposed two options which were then tested with 3D modelling to ensure that our solutions would integrate easily with existing plant and no access restrictions would occur as a result of their installation.
Having established the viability of our proposal, we proceeded to install and commission the following system modifications:
- Installation of an integrated electric hoist to eliminate the use of forklifts when loading the Vermiculite Floveyor. Bulk bags delivered to the hoist by pallet trucks already operating in the area
- An enclosed support hopper mounted to the hoist frame with an access door and extraction to interface with the existing hopper and minimise dust
- A vibrator fitted to the support hopper to reduce operator intervention for the agitation of the product flow
For the fly ash system, the same approach of bulk bag handling was taken and a new F3 conveyor was installed to replace the existing screw conveyors
- The F3 Floveyor was installed to transfer product from floor level to a silo. The F3 was fitted with a ASF screw-feeder to prevent surges and regulate the flow of aerated fly ash
- Existing plant dust extraction was integrated into the system which reduced operator exposure to the very light and dusty material when accessing the bulk bag outlets
This latest phase in our longstanding partnership with CSR Gyprock helped to solve two intractable industrial conveying problems which had threatened to compromise the efficiency of their operations at a time of significant production increase.
We installed and commissioned new equipment with minimal downtime and a smooth handover.
Implementing our solution has made Gyprock’s operations cleaner, quicker and safer. It has also reduced front end manual handling and labour requirements and freed up the forklift for use at the end of the manufacturing process.
Floveyor conveyors continue to exceed performance expectations in the CSR workplace, for the flow of Gypsum and Vermiculite.