The challenge for the food industry
Global food industry giant, Kerry Group, upgraded their Brisbane based bakery products operation, Kerry Ingredients. The capacity of the existing original Floveyors was up for review when Kerry Ingredients embarked on this large upgrade. The operations were representative of the challenges faced by food industry companies everywhere.
In a highly regulated and competitive industry, the constant quest for new product lines and greater production flexibility has to be backed by efficient, safe bulk materials handling systems.
Would the Floveyors still meet updated hygiene standards, handle new products and operate safely and cleanly?
The food-safe solution
At Kerry Ingredients’ request, we reviewed their existing site installations and audited each original Floveyor against all of the upgrade requirements. As a result of this process, we made the following modifications to our equipment and processes.
- Modifications to access doors and hatches
- We replaced secure bolts with quick-release mechanisms fitted with electronic safety interlocks integrated into the plant safety circuit
- Updated cleaning procedures
The Cleaning Process
Products with cross-contamination potential of colour, flavour or allergens are challenging. Original Floveyors are designed for easy, safe operator access:
- Open equipment access points
- Dry clean residue powder
- Apply hot wash at 67 degrees Centigrade
- Apply 2% caustic sanitizer foam
- Sit for 40mins
- Apply hot rinse to remove the foam
- Allow sitting for approximately two hours
- Using sanitizer or forced air drying reduced standard drying times.
- We tested every new recipe. To date, the Floveyors have handled all Kerry Ingredients’ raw materials in their single or blended states without any product degradation or blend separation.
- We installed fully polyurethane-coated ropes in place of stainless steel assemblies fitted with moulded polyurethane discs.
We built on our longstanding relationship with Kerry Ingredients by providing them with a cost-effective, contribution to their major plant upgrade. The existing Floveyors were economically upgraded without plant disruption. New cleaning and material testing regimes maintain global compliance and hygiene standards.
Furthermore, Kerry Ingredients considers improving the food safety of their Floveyors even further by installing the polymer-coated x-ray and metal detectable rope assembly.